Sunday 2 December 2007

Book Reviews #2

Another in the occasional series. This time, two in one!

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

I'd heard a snatched few minutes of Captain Corelli's Mandolin on Radio 4 back home and and enjoyed the dry humour although didn't know at the time what I was listening to.

Discovering the book here (76th place in the Australian Best Read 2007), I only bought it to make up a Buy Three for Two offer. As such, it sat on a pile for some time before being read.


CCM is a story of love and a story of war. I've never laughed and cried so much at a book before; it has rekindled my joy of reading. The writing is sharp and witty, pulling you into a story so complex yet complete that you feel part of it. My only complaint is that I had some very late nights reading it, to ensure that I read beyond the bloody war-based sections and onto the more light-hearted sections focusing on the main characters so I didn't dream of a wartime so horrifically described! If only all books were so impassioned. When I reached the end, there was a lump in my throat and both sadness & happiness combined.

Apparently there was a film made about it. I've not seen it, but I can't imagine that it compares favourably with the book.

In summary, it was absolutely wonderful - I can't recommend it enough!

The Eyre Affair

I can't really give this book the credit it deserves; having read Captain Corelli's Mandolin just before, very little compares.

However the Eyre Affair is an easy read, one where your brain can be switched to standby for the most part. Some clever alternate universe stuff, but with minimal character buildup and a very er, spritely wound-down ending.

0 comments: