Saturday 16 February 2008

MonsterRail/Potatoes

Saturday mornings are generally quiet affairs. I've fallen into the habit returning to WakeUp in Central for:

  • 1x Fruit Salad (sans yoghurt)
  • 1x Slice of Banana Bread
  • 1x Danish (of varied variety)
  • 1x Long Black (cwoffee)
They know me by name there, even if they insist on re-naming me Dave*. I sit watching the world go by, reading my book and generally making this large breakfast last a couple of hours.

Today - with this ritual completed - I headed up Pitt Street for a bit of a mooch. I came across Allan's Music Store, which had an upstairs room completely chocked with pianos, Clavii, Rolands and the such. I managed to spend a good half an hour in there, abusing the equipment before I was asked if I wanted to buy anything :) It's always pleasing to see just how keen Australians are for learning to play instruments. Every reasonably sized town seems to have a music shop, and everywhere you go, you see people busking with all flavours of instrument.

I then took a trip on the MonsterRain (ok, ok, Monorail) and saw the city from a whole new angle. It reminded me of the El in Chicago, minus the precarious wooden platforms :)

In an attempt to speed up saving enough to go travelling, I decided to cut back on eating out this week and to live like a student. Jacket Potatoes all round! Alas, whilst leaving Coles supermarket, I realised that I had just played out an episode of It's Grim Up North London :/ - in my bag were:
  • 2x studentesque potatoes
  • 2x studentesque baked beans
  • 1x Packet of "Bush Tomato" Goats Cheese
* The girl at Gloria Jean's Coffee shop in Crows** Nest calls me John :(
** Yes, there's no apostrophe, just like Earls Court*** :P
*** Unless you are referring to Earl's Court tube station, which for some reason has one.

0 comments: