Sunday 18 November 2007

Blue Mountains attempt #2

Yesterday, I made attempt #2 to scale the Blue Mountains to the west of Sydney. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and the lizards were lazing on rocks. Arriving at Lawson railway station, I follow the signs to the local nature reserve.

Climbing through the undergrowth, through tracks that were so overgrown as to be unregognisable in places, I feel a sense of calm come over me as all my cares drift away into the forest.

Presently, I discovered a tall, beautiful waterfall. In two parts, the water fell from fifty metres up onto a plateau then dropped a final ten metres. The track led down to it, so I approached, camera in hand.

Mr Brutch, my militant A-level geography teacher taught me many things* about waterfalls; how they retreat over the years, how the constant patter of water on the rocks below leads to changes in shape and the sorts of creatures that revel in the pools.

One thing he didn't teach me was that the constant patter of water on the rocks below leads to very slippery rocks. The tranquil calm of the forest momentarily held its breath as a bellow of 'ArrrrgFUDDDDGE!' rang out and echoed off the valley walls.

Down I went onto the thin layer of sludge that covered the rocks next to the waterfall. Alas there I was not to end, as my friction co-efficient remained low and I slid down the rocks and into the crystal clear waters of the waterfall's pool. A Timotei moment it was not. Think more along the lines of Indian Jones falling down a jungle chute.

Thankfully I managed to scramble out of the pool with only my pride damaged. I made my way back to the train station. Once on the 2.5hr train journey back, I sat there as quietly as I could reading my book. Even so, I suspect that I deafened the entire carriage with the malodorous cacophony of the primordial ooze what covered my back and behind.

This morning, it turns out that it wasn't only my pride that was damaged; I have a pleasantly purple and black posterior too :/

Don't go chasing waterfalls!


* well, not strictly true as I only received a 'D' for A-level geography

2 comments:

da Architect said...

I do of course wish you a speedy return to the normal state of Greg. However in the meantime I will have to control the chuckles :)

Excellent writing by the way.

Unknown said...

I'll have to control much more than chuckles! Of course I'm glad you're on the road to recovery, but that would have been a funny sight!