Sunday 11 November 2007

Taronga Zoo & Balmoral

Saturday, I visited Taronga zoo (photos to follow on Flickr). Looking at the map, it seemed a reasonable walk. Combine that with the overcast weather that we've had for the past week, and it seemed perfectly fine to walk it. Waking up at 11am, Mad dogs and Englishmen made their way out in the midday sun to Taronga. 8km of toastyness later I arrived.

Did I mention that I've never been a big fan of zoos? I always feel rather sorry for the animals kept in cages. The website suggested that Taronga was more of a safari-park (think ex-LegoLand Windsor Safari Park). Alas it wasn't to be. I've not seen a sadder bunch of animals in a long time :/
The only upside was the falconry display, where the birds seemed fit and focused.

Walking back, I stopped at Balmoral Beach, which was lovely and quiet with its own fairly tranquil rocky island. I'll be going back there again :)

1 comments:

Dean said...

Cool. If you took the harbourfront route to Balmoral, you would have walked past my parents' place (and the house I grew up in! :))